Norma's Needleworkz

Sunday, February 18, 2007

TAST week 7 and a challenge block

Last week there was a problem with getting a good picture of one of my Chevron stitch samplers. Well this week it is visible. This sample was stitched on 19ct. Cork linen and the first sample was stitched in #5 green perle. I also used #12 purple perle and 2 strands DMC brown. The second sample was stitched with 2 strands DMC in three shades of green and the third sample zigzag is in #8 perle. The 'box' around the red #5 perle Colonial Knots was stitched with a back stitch using Caron's Wildflower thread.

Week 7 is probably everyone's favorite stitch - the Feather Stitch - I know it is one of mine. The first sample was stitched on 18 ct. raw linen and the first row is done with Caron Wildflower thread. The second row is Closed Feather and is stitched in #5 bright green perle with the same Wildflower thread as Colonial Knots. Do you get the idea I prefer Colonial Knots over French Knots? The reverse side of this pattern is very interesting as it forms a bright green backstitch and the way I stitched the Colonial Knots formed a Herringbone. This was a pleasant surprise for me. The next two rows are the same stitch only using a magenta #5 perle and a turquoise #8 perle. I just wanted to see what a side by side thread difference showed. The next row I wanted to show the Briar Stitch so used a #20 black crochet thread. I think it worked real well. The last pattern on this sampler is stitched with #8 perle and I used ribbon floss for the Lazy Daisy. I had not "interviewed" beads before but for this row I tried small white pearls which I did not like and then I tried white seed beads which didn't work either. My third try worked and so I added purple seed beads.

For this sampler I used 22ct Hardanger in a rust color. The first row is stitched in #8 perle gold. For the detached chains and Colonial Knots I used some of my hand dyed crochet thread, probably #30. The second row really presented a challenge for me as it took several tries before I finally got the 'over/under' weaving look I wanted. The base stitch was done in a wheat color #12 perle and the top stitch was done with 2 strands of a dark green J & P Coats floss. I really like the looks of this combination. Well, I just had to try for a little more movement so for the third row I used Caron's Wildflower thread. I think maybe the stitches could have been closer together but still it looks okay.

For the last sampler of stitches I used 14ct. Aida and the first row is worked in a lilac crochet thread with green #8 perle French Knots on the right hand side and a #20 crochet thread for the Detached Chain and Straight Stitch flowers. The second row is stitched in a blue #20 crochet thread. For row three I used a solid red #8 perle and the Detached Chain stitches were made with a varigated red and black #12 perle. The last row was stitched with overdyed thread and a #8 varigated red perle for the Colonial Knots.

A few weeks ago I joined another crazy quilting Yahoo group - CQForNewbies. I am really having a fun time with this group. So right off the bat I jumped in to work on an "Ugly Block Challenge". I decided to show first some of the things I am 'auditioning' on this block. Some of my hand dyed blue lace and a blue fan motif. The white flower motif came with the block for me to use if I choose and I do and there is a dark green with gold thread motif that I received in a baggie swap. You will have to wait to see the finished block.
The naked Ugly Duckling block that I hope will turn into a pleasant Swan.

5 Comments:

At 2/18/2007 08:37:00 PM, Blogger Vivian said...

nice work Norma ... you have some great variations

 
At 2/19/2007 01:14:00 AM, Blogger kay susan said...

Norma, what a lovely collection of small samplers, nice variations, really interesting.

 
At 2/19/2007 01:46:00 AM, Blogger crazyQstitcher said...

Norma the Chevon sampler is beautiful and the feather stitching is too.

I love all the combinations and colours. Thanks for the inspiration.

 
At 2/19/2007 08:49:00 AM, Blogger Susan said...

Wow, you really did a lot of different things with this stitch! I love them all. That S-shape - you said they could have been closer together, but this leaves enough room for embellishment, and it looks great unembellished, too.

Your ugly block looks like it will be fun. I have all the laces on mine, just have to get going with stitching everything.

 
At 2/19/2007 09:54:00 AM, Blogger Charlene said...

Great stitching and variety, Norma. I enjoy using the feather stitch, too.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home