Norma's Needleworkz

Monday, March 10, 2008

Tatting and Round Robins

My Bible story round robin has been framed! When my piece came back to me I thought seriously about what I wanted to add as I had sent it out nekkid. I had a shell necklace that had been given to me and I don't really wear necklaces so thought this would be a good one to take apart and use some of the shells. I added 5 shells at the "seaweed" in the lower right hand corner and I must say that trying to figure out how to add them posed a bit of a problem. As even my #12 quilting needle would not go through I decided to try some of my hubby's fishing line but couldn't remember where it was so I took a piece of my "SuperFloss" which worked beautifully. The only problem there was I had to unthread and rethread my needle each time I entered the fabric. Voila! Finished product and one happy camper!

Here is a piece of two-toned tatting that I've entered into my 25 motif challenge on my HBT group. I used #50 DMC Cordonet in both ecru (for the rings) and white (for the chains). Using these colors together gives a very rich look to the finished piece. This pattern is typically used for insertion but I plan on using it on my crazy quilting possibly as a seam embellishment but perhaps as a fabric enhancement instead. I'll play with it for a while before deciding.

One of my favorite butterfly patterns is shown two ways and is also entered in my 25 motif challenge. The original pattern calls for a bead or pearl for the center but I have made it also without the bead/pearl to show my beginner tatting students that a successful piece may be worked with as well as without beads. These butterflies were tatted with #30 crochet cotton.

My No.1 Son often comes across vintage threads as he shops for me on e-bay and the mauve butterfly was stitched with Belding Bros. & Co. Special Twist Tatting Silk ...... a dream of a thread to work with. The finished butterfly is about 3/4" minus antennae. It almost gets lost between the fingers.

A swap going on in my CQ4Newbies group is the Food Fight and my block - Grandma's Pumpkin Pie - is finished ready to be mailed this week. Some of the seam embellishments and fabric stitchings don't really show up here and you can barely see my tatted pumpkins but it does look nice "in the flesh". I used several ideas from Carole Samples' Treasury Of Crazy Quilt Stitches. I'm really getting into that book more and more.

I'm doing a round robin with a few special friends that are not into crazy quilting. It is a band sampler round robin. Although the exquisiteness (is that a word?) of the band doesn't really show here I found it pure pleasure to stitch my bit.

It is hard to tell exactly what I stitched but I started with a row of back stitch and then two rows of herringbone with a squared Palestrina Knot within the formed diamond area and finished the band with another row of backstitch. The middle row used a long arm insertion stitch which I reduced so that the star shape would be more pronounced and stitched this band with Wildflowers 'Sunset'. The top band is a modified version of one of the patterns found in Carole Samples book. I was having so much fun with this sampler that I didn't want to stop and hope my Aussie friend Christine likes what I added.

After finishing the Bible round robin I jumped right in onto another round robin with that group. This one is a basket rr and the owner put a crocheted basket in the center, so I added a couple of flowers figuring the rest of the group would like to add some to that basket. I also added a tatted basket of flowers on the gold fabric. For the black segment I buttonhole stitched around the imprinted flowers, added outline stems , some butterfly charms and sent it on its way.

The very first Yahoo group I joined was the Crazy Quilting Hearts group and I have not made hearts to swap for quite a few months ..... really not since my hubby's death .... but felt the urge to get back to that wonderfully supportive group. I don't usually post the hearts on my blog but because a couple of them included tatting I decided to share the photos. And also more of Carole Samples seam treatments.

My focus here, besides the tatting is a counted cross-stitch violet, buds and greenery. I also dyed the fan and used more of Carole's seam treatments.

Some more tatting here and the medallion is from Carole's book.

11 Comments:

At 3/10/2008 05:32:00 PM, Blogger Rose Anne B said...

OMGG Norma I don't care if it's a week or a month - I just LOVE your post today! There are so many things that are so beautiful and CONGRATS on framing your RR - just lovely! AND that tatting is just making my mouth water!!! I can't wait for my private lessons!!!

 
At 3/10/2008 11:46:00 PM, Blogger crazyQstitcher said...

Everything is fabulous. My favourite heart has the bird on it. Such a cheery heart. Your tatting is wonderful and your bible block looks beautiful. Well done on all the needlework of late.

 
At 3/11/2008 06:02:00 AM, Blogger Gerry said...

My goodness, Norma! Wow - talk about a busy girl. LOL.

I love the seascape framed piece. Your tatting is beautiful. And you've done a wonderful job with the sampler.

Your Food Fight block is great. It really does look like pumpkin pie!

Pretty, pretty hearts. Now go take a break! LOL.

 
At 3/11/2008 11:24:00 AM, Blogger Lori said...

WowW! Norma! great work! I love your pumpkin pie block, I am hoping to get back into the group before it is due! I can't wait to see all the photos! I love your tatting! How time consuming that must be! Your hearts are beautiful and am glad you are back into those agin! Your bible block is fantastic finished! I have so many unfinished projects! I wish I was more like you!
Hugs!
Lori Kinney

 
At 3/11/2008 03:18:00 PM, Blogger Jenny said...

WOW Norma, you have been busy. That sampler is just yummy!

 
At 3/11/2008 07:50:00 PM, Blogger Judy S. said...

Wow, Norma, you sure have been busy! I love the hearts and the band sampler. Your work is awesome.

 
At 3/18/2008 12:33:00 PM, Blogger Joy said...

Hi Norma - great work! Where could I find the pattern for the little butterfly (the one with the bead in the center)?

 
At 3/21/2008 04:36:00 PM, Blogger KnitYoga said...

Such gorgeous work - one and all. The Bible Story looks wonderful and I just adore the tatted butterfly. Tatting is something else on my list to learn. I just need another lifetime! LOL

 
At 3/24/2008 02:41:00 PM, Blogger KlaudjaB said...

Golly Gosh! I've never seen such beautiful things.
You're truly an artist.

Can you tell me how did you start mixing both techniques? and why? what was the inspiration? and what inspire you each new project?

 
At 4/04/2008 09:25:00 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Pretty tatting. I love seeing it with mixed media like you've done with your crazy quilting. Maybe you know Melissa over at www.tattingchic.blogspot.com She does this, too. Check it out! She's also very nice.

 
At 4/04/2008 12:57:00 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

OOPSY!!! I meant Melissa at Honey Bee's Bliss. Her URL is http://honeybeesbliss.blogspot.com/
you two might appreciate each others work if you don't know each other that well.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home