Norma's Needleworkz

Monday, December 03, 2007

TAST, Templates & Encrusted Class #3

The TAST (Take A Stitch Tuesday) Challenge is drawing to a close and I must say I have enjoyed the challenge and learned many new stitches. Sharon (inaminuteago) has issued a new challenge for 2008 which will take this year's challenge even further. I know it will be an interesting challenge but I have decided, at least at this time, not to follow through. I still have time to change my mind. TAST stitch for week 48 was the Knotted Cable Chain Stitch which I enjoyed working. My samples were stitched with Caron Watercolors on 18ct. Aida. I decided to expand a little and work a Buttonhole with the Knotted Cable Chain which I think looks really nice.

A few of my cq stitching buddies and I own Carole Samples crazy quilting templates. They are a really big help in spacing and designing combination stitches but I came across several templates among my hubby's things that are also a very big help in spacing and designing. The left most template in the photo above doesn't really show its capabilities but I used one of the circle templates for my Buttonhole Wheel Flowers in doing my third lesson for my encrusted class led by Sharon B.

I still have some open spaces on this square and part of those areas will include beads and buttons. I'm still in the planning stages there as those portions of this class have yet to be covered by Sharon and I'm trying to hold off using those items until they are presented. I haven't used too many styles of beads yet, mostly seed beads and I really want to try some different ones on this square. I'm also looking for inspiration on using shank buttons .... I have used two and four hole buttons with some success but want to learn more. I'm really trying to follow the teacher's instructions in these classes. I did add a dragonfly that I had dyed in one part of this square and am thinking of some possible charms. One thing I've learned in this class is to relax more and just go with the flow of what "speaks" to me. I did work a spider-web rose in the upper right hand corner but didn't like it so I took it out. I'm thinking of putting a spiderweb in that space although there is another type of rose that I haven't yet tried which might possibly fit better. I might just do some tiny roses along with the spiderweb. Any ideas anyone?

8 Comments:

At 12/03/2007 05:05:00 PM, Blogger katiejayinpa said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 12/03/2007 05:07:00 PM, Blogger katiejayinpa said...

Your block is really coming along so nicely Norma...wish i could see your stitching a bit more clearly...i know it's wonderful! Looks like you are having a good time in class VBG

ktj

 
At 12/03/2007 06:36:00 PM, Blogger Faye said...

Thanks Norma, for posting the pictures of the templates. They are different to mine but I can see how they would work well. Great block, it's coming along really well...

 
At 12/03/2007 06:43:00 PM, Blogger Kay said...

I like the colors you have chosen. I'm taking the class to, just wish I weren't so busy with life at the moment!

 
At 12/03/2007 09:24:00 PM, Blogger Susan said...

I like your block, and agree with the idea that you go with what appeals to you and what you feel is right to stitch. Your buttonhole stitch really looks different, doesn't it?

 
At 12/04/2007 05:28:00 AM, Blogger Gerry said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 12/04/2007 05:29:00 AM, Blogger Gerry said...

Norma, you have done an excellent job of keeping up on the weekly stitches. It's so nice to see what you do with them. The block is coming along nicely, too.

I envy you that you have so much fun, having fun!LOL.


sorry about the delete. I'm just learning how to spell :-)

 
At 12/07/2007 10:26:00 PM, Blogger Charlene ♥ NC said...

Oh, wow, Norma. This is beautiful!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home