Norma's Needleworkz

Monday, October 29, 2007

TAST and More

Well, I must say that I really had a most difficult time figuring out the week 42 TAST stitch Lace Border. I don't why it was so hard as I knew how to do both the Twisted Chain and the Scroll Stitch which are the components of the Lace Border. For this stitch I used 7ct Kloster linen and #3 DMC perle cotton. I need to spend some more time with this stitch but right now I'm anxious to work on the next two stitches, both of which are unknown to me as far as working. In studying Brazilian Embroidery the Drizzle Stitch (week 43) is often referred to ...... so if I can work it for TAST I can certainly work it for BE (Brazilian Embroidery). I'm really enjoying the stitches that Sharon of inaminuteago is presenting to us each week.


On my CQforNewbies group it is time to send our Season to Season Winter block and here you can see my half finished offering. That is all we are supposed to stitch - one half of the block. Much of what I've done doesn't show up as I often use a single strand of DMC floss or DMC rayon thread to enhance parts of the design. For instance in the center block I used a single strand of green rayon thread and outlined the veins in the holly leaves. I didn't have any red beads the size I needed for the holly berries nor did I have any red silk ribbon to use so taking what I had on hand - 1/4" double face satin ribbon I made Colonial Knots for the berries. I also used brown DMC floss and stitched Detached Fly Stitches for the base of the acorns.

In another of my groups I'm involved with a "Secret Santa" and these three beautiful pieces of lace were the first goodies I received.

My second "Secret Santa" goodies included this beautiful sparkly piece of pink fabric, some gorgeous ecru lace and a skein of Vikki Clayton's hand-dyed silk floss - color Robin Egg!!!! I've not used Vikki's threads before so am quite anxious to try them. These goodies will be part of my Spring block in the Season to Season swap.

Back in February of this year my mom showed me a bag full of hankies that she really didn't know what to do with. They belonged to her (she is 94) and my grandmother and included some WWII silk souvenir hankies from some of the areas where my uncles were stationed during the war. I had just bought Hanky-Panky Crazy Quilts by Cindy Brick as I had a collection of my own hankies I wanted to do something with. She asked if I could use them and boy did I grab them. I proceeded to make a hanky wall hanging for my mom for her birthday (May 8) and Mother's Day. She has the hanging and I don't have a photo. The photo here is my second attempt using some of the same hankies plus some others. The hankie at the top with the shaded orange tatting is the only one of mine that I used. And, yes, I did the tatting. This is basted and ready to add embroidery and tatted motifs but is on the schedule for next year. Too many pans in the fire right now!!!!!!!!!

1 Comments:

At 11/18/2007 09:41:00 AM, Blogger Ati said...

Hi Norma, I have red beads in all sizes :-))
So, I shall make the berries for you!
Nice block, I am looking forward to work on it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home