Norma's Needleworkz

Monday, September 03, 2007

TAST week 35 SHISHA and tatting challenge

Although I've been busy this week I don't have that much to add. The latest TAST stitch was new to me even though I'd been looking at it for quite some time. Shisha mirrors are not available in my area but I finally found a bag of "spangles" that I thought would work. So for this sample I decided to show my "progress" of this stitch. I stitched on 18ct Aida and for the frame work I used a brown spangle and #8 perle cotton in gold. The middle stitching is the completed step and here I used a gold spangle with persian wool as I felt the #8 perle cotton would not cover as completely as it should. The framework was stitched with one strand tan persian wool and the edging stitches were done with one strand red persian wool so I could see if the coverage was correct. Because the second attempt was not quite what I thought it should be for my final attempt I used a red spangle and a single strand of red persian wool for each step. The third try was better but I still need to work on this stitch. I do have some smaller spangles and I think I'll work with them for a while.

Since I'm trying to empty up some of my shuttles to tackle a slightly larger project, I decided that for my second piece in the 25 motif challenge I would do one of my favorite butterflies and a piece of basice edging known as "hen and chickens". The butterfly is worked with a multicolor #20 Anchor crochet cotton and the edging is worked with a #20 Anchor shaded blue crochet cotton. Somewhere along the line both of these pieces of tatting will be attached to a cq square or heart for a swap of some type. Hmmmm wonder what I'll do this week?

8 Comments:

At 9/03/2007 07:02:00 AM, Blogger Charlene ♥ NC said...

Very pretty butterfly, and your hens and chicks are nicely done, too. I enjoy having this option to use on cq blocks!

 
At 9/03/2007 07:03:00 AM, Blogger Gerry said...

Norma, your tatting is beautiful. Thanks Charlene, for letting me know what these designs are called.

 
At 9/03/2007 02:08:00 PM, Blogger Rose Anne B said...

Ohhhh Norma I LOVE your tatting!!! Can't wait for our trip to Aust. for my private lessons!!!

 
At 9/03/2007 03:23:00 PM, Blogger crazyQstitcher said...

Lovely tatting. I've done the Hen and Chicks but seeing yours I can actually visualize the hen. :-)

 
At 9/03/2007 03:37:00 PM, Blogger Sandie said...

Norma, your TAST is gorgeous - as always. I admire all you ladies doing these wonderful stitches. Always wanted to learn this stitch, must go visit Sharon B's site! Your tatting is so beautiful ...

 
At 9/03/2007 10:45:00 PM, Blogger Ati said...

Hi Norma, nice shisha's and I love your tatting pieces!!

 
At 9/05/2007 02:43:00 AM, Blogger sharonb said...

I swung by to look at your shisha and fell in love with your tatting too! Just wanted to say how nice the butterfly was as well as the shisha

 
At 9/07/2007 02:33:00 PM, Blogger Susan said...

I actually like the first one with the least coverage, but the others are more in line with Sharon's lesson, I suppose. Your butterfly is gorgeous and so is the bit of lace. I know you'll find the perfect spot for them.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home