Norma's Needleworkz

Monday, August 13, 2007

TAST week 32 and another postcard

This week's TAST challenge stitch Crested Chain was worked on #14 Aida first with #5 DMC perle in a bright blue. It shows upside down on this sample as I worked the right hand design upside down from the blue. Sharon suggested working this stitch with a large thread and spacing so the top lefthand bit was my first attempt and the lower lefthand was my second. Then I turned my fabric around as I wanted to attempt doing this stitch in a curve. Since I started a little too close to the edge I ended up with a 'wave' which is in a sense a gentle curve. For this part of my sample I used Caron's Watercolor. For my first attempts I followed Sharon's step by step photos. The next day when I stitched the 'wave' I didn't even look at the photos and was very comfortable working the Crested Chain. I think I'll enjoy adding this stitch to my cq.



My second postcard is slightly 'over-sized' but since it is a sample and will not be mailed that is okay. For my stiffening I did use Pell-Tex. That stuff is expensive but there was about one third of a yard on the bolt and I got it at 'remnant' price. I added more beads (on the ouside of the lace on the lefthand side) than I'm used to working with and couched a metallic cord down the plaid ribbon shown on the right. Because of the beads and button I made sure my ironing board had thick padding before I attempted to iron on the Pell-Tex. I finished the edges with my serger. I may be ready now to do my Glitz and Glamour postcard for the swap.

5 Comments:

At 8/13/2007 05:40:00 PM, Blogger Rose Anne B said...

Way to go Norma, and the more you do (even if it's only 1 or 2 in the swap) the more confident and daring you'll get! Then lookout you'll be signing up for more and more and getting yourself into a bind! LOL!

Hugs, Rose Anne

 
At 8/13/2007 07:28:00 PM, Blogger Sandie said...

Just beautiful Norma, your swap partners are going to be so thrilled with their postcards.

 
At 8/14/2007 06:35:00 PM, Blogger silkworm said...

Hi Norma,
Your post card is great and so is your latest TAST
Well done friend.
Maria

 
At 8/14/2007 08:29:00 PM, Blogger Susan said...

I like the wavy one better, and imagine that after a few seams of this, you'll be miraculously excellent. =) The postcard looks great! I bought some Fast2Fuse stuff, but it doesn't seem to be very fast fusing to me! In addition, I don't really care for making the postcards. I'll try to remember to send you a stack of them, which I already cut to size, when I send the laces.

 
At 8/15/2007 05:21:00 AM, Blogger Courtney Short said...

love your stitches.. the wavy one is my favorite too.. and the varigated thread makes it look very cool.. can't wait to see the postcards you come up with.. I am presently working on a couple myself.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home