TAST Bullion plus old and new Needlebooks
My feeble attempts at the Bullion Stitch and I really need lots of practice with this one LOL Anyway on the 28 ct linen I just stitched some 'petals' to form a little star flower, well two little flowers. I used a shaded purple machine embroidery thread. I also attempted a Bullion Rose with the same thread - that's the little purple blob on the upper left of the fabric ..... oh, my, was that a disaster! So I decided to use a #5 perle magenta to attempt the rose and I do believe I made some progress but I still have a long way to go to gain some measure of control of this stitch. Oh, I don't mind if you laugh at my flowers 'cause I did.
For a second try at the Bullion Stitch I used #18 Aida and began at the bottom ..... a lot of times I do things out of order just to be different. Anyway I tried some side by side stitches (that's the group of three double stitches) worked with #16 red perle and then I tried a 'flower' of sorts using the same thread and added the stem and base straight stitches with the Bullion petals. Makes me think a little of a dandelion in bloom. At the top of this sample I used #8 green perle and tried some leaves on the left and a zigzag pattern on the right. If I had used blue and stitched a little differently I could have made some birds flying (maybe?). At least I had a go at the stitch.
This little hanging tasseled piece was stitched with EdMar threads back in 1990 while still an EGA member and where I had some guidance. There are two Bullion stitches at the center of the major flower and I thought it would be nice to show some proper Bullion stitches. Just goes to prove I really need lots of practice with this stitch.
Again, while an EGA member I made my first needlebook (also dated 1990). And I'm only showing these because on one of the groups that I belong to they just did a needlebook swap and I wasn't ready to join in on that but did want to show mine. The Blackwork design is stitched on 32 ct linen.
On the inside cover I used a safety pin to fasten the little baggie which holds a needle threader and a little rubber gripper. The 'pages' are of white felt and as you can see this needlebook is heavily used. I have four pages in this one with the first two pages for my tapestry needles (of all sizes) and the last two pages are for my embroidery needles including my milliner's.
Back in January of this year I decided I needed a new needlebook just for SRE which I was really getting into the swing of working with all those beautiful silk ribbons. And this one is bright enough that I can't misplace it. I think I just might make a third one to use with my BDE stitching when I get to that .... hmmm, what do you think ..... do I need a third needlebook?????
For this needlebook I followed the directions found in J. Marsha Michler's the magic of Crazy Quilting second edition. This included using the 'antique' method of basting the fabric pieces. On the inside cover is stitched, at the top only, a piece of felt for used needles. The "page" is handstitched to the center with a pocket for new needles sewn on both sides. There is also a piece of felt on the back inside cover for used needles. I did not show this needlebook closed as there would have had to have been two photos instead of the one. I have received compliments on my needlebooks which is always a boost to the ego. Now to finish gathering my supplies for Sharon's (inaminuteago) newest online class Sumptuous Surfaces which begins tomorrow the 11th. I know I'll see some of you in that class. Can hardly wait to see what challenges that one will hold for me. See you next time.