Norma's Needleworkz

Tuesday, April 17, 2007

TAST week 15 plus an older piece of embroidery

I like it when I'm introduced to new stitches by Sharon (inaminuteago). The Oyster Stitch is definately new to me and so I tried several threads to view possibilities for its use. The first sampler is stitched on 26ct. linen and I used a single strand of blue silk and it worked out nicely. The second stitching is the vertical row worked in Caron Wildflowers and then I stitched a horizontal row with #8 perle cotton and a second horizontal row with #20 crochet cotton. At the bottom is a flower stitched witn #5 red perle cotton. I really prefer this stitch in the heavier thread for better dimension.

For my second sampler I used 14ct. Aida and the #5 perle. The flower center is stitched with two strands DMC yellow floss using French Knots. For the stems I used #5 green perle Running Stitch and then a single strand of Caron's Watercolor to whip. The Straight Stitch grass was worked with two strands DMC floss.

Quite a few years ago when I was involved with our local quilt guild (I was a charter member of both the local and state guilds but life has a way of changing things.) we would often travel to North Carolina for quilt symposiums. Naturally we stopped at any quilt shop along the way ...... On our return from one of those symposiums we stopped at the largest quilt shop I had ever seen and during our shopping I discovered Folkwear patterns. I just had to make this dress with hand embroidery. The pattern is known as "GAZA" a traditional Israli pattern and I used waste canvas to stitch the embroidery using traditional colors. The designs and colors all have special meaning. Although the dress still fits I am unable to wear it due to pain in my left arm that prevents me from raising that arm as high as I need. The dress is made of 100% cotton broadcloth and I used #3 perle cotton for the embroidery. Some of my favorite patterns are Folkwear designs as they incorporate needlework of various types. Anyone interested can just type in "folkwear patterns" on Google to see what is available.

I am not quite up to par for posting as yesterday tragedy struck at a major college just 35 minutes from me. A student at Virginia Tech went beserk and shot to death 33 students and at least one faculty member as well as wounding another 21, several of whom remain critical. Some of the wounded have been treated and released from local hospitals. We hear of events like this happening but always to other people in other places. When it hits this close to home ...... it comes as quite a shock and we just have to remember that not all people are good and terrible things do happen in our world. A gentle reminder if I may .... all parents hug your children, tell them you love them, do things with them, let them know how much you care. Pray for our world!

2 Comments:

At 4/17/2007 03:37:00 PM, Blogger Elizabeth said...

Thanks for the gentle encouragement to pray from someone close by VT.

 
At 7/11/2008 02:47:00 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I want to make the Gaza dress, and have ordered the pattern. I've done very little embroidery, but am fairly skilled at sewing and some other handwork. Will I be able to do the embroidery? I like your idea of waste canvas.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home