Norma's Needleworkz

Tuesday, February 27, 2007

PLOS week 1

This last week I began my Personal Library of Stitches online class with Sharon B. and I am finding it a wonderful experience. My first online class! I chose to stitch a full length sampler as I am already working on individual stitch samples with her TAST challenge. For this sampler I chose 25 count Dublin linen as I prefer a darker background for my 'intense' samplers. I really need to take some photos of my samplers hanging in my home to share online although I do have a mixture of dark and light backgrounds. I guess it really all depends on what type of sampler I'm doing.

I have read lesson 1 several times and each time I learn something new......... well, isn't that what taking a class is all about? For the most part all the stitches were new to me. For the Guilloche stitch I began with a #5 perle in turquoise and added #5 magenta for the weaving. For the top and bottom rows as well as the French Knots I used a single strand of DMC purple rayon floss. I tried a #5 perle but found it was too heavy a line for my liking. Beside this stitch I did a variation using #5 perle in purple. Under the Guilloche stitch is another variation although it is what I have previously done and called Wrapped Running Stitch. Sharon mentioned in her notes that the Portuguese Stem Stitch is preferably done in a straight line across the fabric but that she preferred doing it up and down. So I tried it both ways. First in turquoise and then in a dark purple, both with #5 perle. In the space under my first variation I want to work this Portuguese Stem Stitch either in a circle or a wavy line to see the effect. On either side of the purple Portuguese Stem Stitch I stitched a Feather filling. On the left side in a medium dark blue Ginny Thompson Flower Thread and on the right side a pale lilac #5 perle, filling the spaces with a yellow French Knot stitched with EdMar Lola. I did not try the Chain Bar as I really haven't decided which thread or color to stitch with. But when I do it will go in the space next to the pale lilac Feather filling.

Some of the things I've learned this week:
1. Need to work on understanding color better.
2. Need to really "step out of the box" and experiment (that's why I began the TAST challenge).
3. Paler shades don't show up well on dark background in photographs.
4. Real life, face to face, my colors look well together and I am pleased with my stitching.

8 Comments:

At 2/27/2007 06:58:00 AM, Blogger ACey said...

Love seeing what you're doing for the class! Gives me more ideas of how to create a "real" sampler as I work up more nerve...

 
At 2/27/2007 05:08:00 PM, Blogger Thelma said...

Very nice start Norma. I should have taken this class. (g) Looking forward to seeing your work every week.

 
At 2/27/2007 11:53:00 PM, Blogger Misa said...

I really enjoyed looking at your piece. I loved taking this class when I took it in the fall... you're in for a really good time. I learned so much from that class!

 
At 2/28/2007 06:12:00 AM, Blogger Elizabeth said...

Great to see the start of your sampler. I'm so glad you are in Sharon's PLOS class and are enjoying it. I was reading and rereading the notes, too, when I took it last fall. I think that I have and will be reaping benefits for a long time. I wish that you receive as much and much more from it.

 
At 2/28/2007 01:41:00 PM, Blogger Christine said...

Well done Norma, at lease you've started your PLOS. I,on the other hand, am doing my usual "procrastination thing" and I hope I haven't wasted my money on yet another UFO or even worse USO. I think I'm still getting over THE WEDDING and as usual have taken on "a few other things". Really there is just too much to do, so I end up doing nothing!! You think at my age I'd have learned by now, ggg. See you on PLOS forum, and on Y. groups!!!

 
At 3/01/2007 11:56:00 AM, Blogger Margaret said...

I think you understand colour quite well Norma. I look forward to seeing your other steps in the course.
And of course I'm itching to see your work up close when your band come around in the RR.

 
At 3/02/2007 07:45:00 AM, Blogger Charlene ♥ NC said...

Great beginning, and you learned SO much. From your comments, you may enjoy the Embellishment class Sharon does. Colors look great to me. Thanks for sharing!

 
At 3/28/2007 10:21:00 PM, Blogger annetteb said...

Norma I don't know where else to leave this message as I'm new to blogging. There is a great item at http://www.needlemaid.com/docs/mountmellick.pdf

 

Post a Comment

<< Home