Norma's Needleworkz

Monday, October 22, 2007

Tast and a Round Robin square

Although I still haven't completed my TAST week 41 sample for several reasons, I did stitch week 42 Twisted Satin and Twisted Satin with Bead Stitch. This stitch was a much, much easier one to work. My sample is worked on 20ct linen with #8 DMC perle cotton. The first vertical row on the left was just to show direction and also shows how easy this stitch would work as a border. For the middle vertical row I added beads on every other stitch which also would work well as a border or as an outline. Below I added beads randomly and I can see possibilities here. My last sample stitching is just random stitching. Since I am recovering from cataract surgery I didn't try to do too much.

I think I had mentioned in an earlier post that I was involved in my first round robin on CrazyQuiltingSisters where we are stitching a favorite Bible story or verses. This is the second block I've stitched on in this rr and I found the pinks very refreshing as pink is not one of my favorite colors.

This is my first attempt at a close-up and all my work is in this area. In the center of Jill's block is the lace corner of an old hankie that just called out for the dark pink satin ribbon rose I had received in a swap. Also in the lace edge I used #8 pink perle cotton and stitched my favorite Colonial Knots. In the pink rose print on the left I used a single strand of DMC green floss in outline, straight stitch and detatched lazy daisy stitches to highlight some of the greenery. I also added one of my hand dyed pink butterflies. In the bottom pink section I stitched a hand painted motif and added some clear crystal beads around the outer border. Two pink beads were stitched in the flower centers. For the feather stitch seam treatment between the print and pink sections I used what I would term a #5 silk thread ( a thread I received in a swap) that was just the right color. The pink lace seam treatment is a piece of lace that I had dyed and I added tiny pink pearl beads in each of the roses. I can't wait to see what the others in the group add to this very delicate square adorned with Bible verses.

Each year the Senior Center where I teach holds a bazzar and I am always asked to set up a table to "sell" my needlework. So this is one of the pieces I will display. It is the first machine applique with invisible thread that I have attempted. Although it does not show up in the sky, which BTW is a night-time blue instead of the brighter blue that shows up here, I have outline stitched O Holy Night in gold thread. It is just a small wall hanging with free form machine quilting but was fun to stitch.

1 Comments:

At 10/26/2007 09:59:00 PM, Blogger Susan said...

TAST! I forgot all about it this month. I better go download the stitch posts! I really like the way yours looks, and that's a lovely green! Thanks for the reminder.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home