Norma's Needleworkz

Sunday, September 16, 2007

TAST week 37 and Tatting Challenge

After lots and lots of new stitches to me, Sharon's stitch for week 37 I know as Rice Stitch or Crossed Corners because I have used this stitch as a border for my needlepoint. Naturally I had to work my first sample as a border. I used 14ct Aida and the outside and inside border stitches are just the simple half cross-stitch as it makes a nice frame for the Rice Stitch. This part was worked in DMC #5 perle cotton in a bright blue. The inside portion was worked in DMC #5 perle cotton in a light blue color and then the Crossed Corners were stitched with Finca #16 royal blue. It really does make a wonderful border and would work nicely as a picture frame. I then worked a portion of the stitch as a "background" although the colors I chose would not necessarily be the ones I would use for a background LOL For this sample I used DMC #5 gold perle cotton as the base cross-stitch and then used Anchor #8 red perle cotton as the crossed corners portion.

I really worked on some tatting the past two weeks since I'm trying to do 25 motifs before August of 2008. I'm trying to empty up some of my shuttles so I can get down to brass tacks and learn some new techniques and try something a little harder ..... I'm not going to say complicated because I don't think I'm quite ready to tackle anything very complicated at this time. For motif #3 I have three small pieces completed this past week and two of the designs were new to me. The Christmas tree and the shamrock were new patterns for me and they were worked in DMC #8 perle cotton. The insertion or lace piece was stitched with a new thread for me to use .... Superior Threads #100 .... a thread basically designed for machine quilting but I loved the varigated purple and just had to tat with it. Up to now the smallest thread I'd used for tatting was #80 but I like the delicateness of the #100. I have several other colors of this thread and I expect I'll use them for tatting also.

For Motif #4 the top three pieces were worked with DMC Cebelia #20 .... one of my favorite threads for tatting. The angel on the top right was the only "new" pattern. The bottom two pieces were worked with DMC Cebelia #30. The four "snowflakes" will probably be included in the wares I'm putting together for the bazzar sale the senior citizens group will be holding in November. The angel will go on a round robin square I've just signed up for on my CrazyQuiltingSisters group. This is a Christian group of women who share not only their love for crazy quilting but their love for Christ.

Next week I hope to share with you a photo or two of my granddaughter who is now a full-fledged cadet at VMI (Virginia Military Institute) and tell you a little about my experience with her family on that very significant day in her life. Until then ......

4 Comments:

At 9/17/2007 12:00:00 AM, Blogger Susan said...

I look forward to seeing pics of your granddaughter. How exciting to have her at such a prestigious school. Your tatting is wonderful - love the angel. I like the border and the square both, in the TAST sampler. I like the colors you chose, and the border looks very promising on a block.

 
At 9/17/2007 11:20:00 AM, Blogger Charlene ♥ NC said...

You've had that needle and shuttle flying, haven't you?

Very nice work!

 
At 9/22/2007 05:12:00 PM, Blogger Courtney Short said...

your tatting is gorgeous.. can't wait to see more!

 
At 9/23/2007 05:18:00 PM, Blogger Julia said...

your tatting is beautiful Norma.
I never did get into the tatting enough to be able to do what you do..
Hugs

 

Post a Comment

<< Home