TAST, Snowflakes and more
I missed posting last week due to the death of my brother-in-law so I have some catch-up to do. The first thing I want to share this week is my latest TAST challenge stitch which is for week 45 and is the Pekinese Stitch. This was a new stitch for me but I enjoyed it very much as it really was not difficult for me. I used 18ct. Aida and my first segment is found on the right hand side at the top. I worked a single backstitch foundation row using Anchor #20 crochet cotton in a bright blue with the interlacing stitch worked in DMC #5 soft lime green perle cotton. Just under that is a double backstitch foundation again using the bright blue #20 crochet thread. This time the interlacing is done with a gold DMC #5 perle cotton. Directly under that is a grouping of three rows of double backstitch, a space and another three rows of double backstitch all worked in DMC #8 deep red perle cotton. The interlaceing doesn't show up well in the pic as it is a #12 orange perle cotton. Then I used a DMC #5 dark gold perle cotton for the woven portion. On the left side I tried a "little" bit of movement in single rows of backstitch using DMC #5 purple perle cotton and the interlacing rows were DMC #5 color wine. My last sample was totally using Sassa Lynne overdyed perle cotton color Serendipity. I worked a single row backstitch, interlacing, skipped a row and stitched a single row of running stitch, skipped a row, then another single row backstitch with interlacing. I have really had so much fun learning many new stitches with only a couple giving me some problems. Life also gives us problems and it is how we handle them that make us strong and with that in mind I have managed to complete all the stitches I've attempted that caused me problems.
Many of my friends have already completed Sharon B's Encrusted class so I decided to try that one .... I seem to be a glutton for learning. This last week we were to sew our square to be embellished. I don't often sew lace on as I piece the square but I do have a piece of my hand-dyed lace to go on my original square. There were several things I learned in the first lesson and I'm trying to carry out the instructions given to us. For instance, it was suggested to draw our colors from a "focus fabric" ....... I had never thought about the term "focus fabric" as I just generally picked up fabric pieces one at a time until I found the combination I liked. Although the center piece was my original focus fabric, as I began adding other pieces I think the flower print in the lower left corner could well be the focus. At any rate these are my favorite colors.
Then I thought I really need to work with some different colors ..... not necessarily colors I'm comfortable with. Soooooo I decided to piece a second square and again the center piece is my focus fabric. I think I did real well with these colors although what looks like a dark red in the lower right is really a soft rust silk from an old blouse ..... hey, I'm learning to recycle fabric LOL One of the things that Sharon told us in that first lesson was that you could break up a long line with a piece of lace. I found just the perfect piece of cluny lace that I had dyed back in the summer when I began experimenting with the Ozecraft dyes. Lesson #1 is complete. Now on to lesson #2 which is printed out and I've started reading.
Somewhere along the line between other things I do I'm working on my 25 motif challenge for my tatting group (HBT - Here-Be-Tatters) and here are my latest pieces. Ooops! the pics are in the wrong order. Oh, well, no need to swap them now! The first piece I did was the large medallion. For the past 50 years I have made new ornaments for our Christmas tree and with this being the first Christmas since the death of my hubby I wasn't sure I even wanted to continue that tradition. But he was so proud of my tatting and bragged to everyone who would listen about how his mom had taught me how to tat ..... so this red "snowflake" is for him. It took almost two loaded shuttles to complete and since there was some thread left over I did the smaller "snowflake". For these I used DMC Cebelia #20.
Generally each fall the local senior center, where I teach, holds a bazzar and I usually have some of my needleworks for sale. The next two pics show some of the crocheted snowflakes I was preparing for that sale. The sale was held on the day of my brother-in-law's funeral so I did not participate. I have a good start on next year's items unless I sell them beforehand or use them on my own tree.
Remember to take time this Thanksgiving and be truly thankful for all your blessings. Until next we meet Peace and Blessings to you all.