Norma's Needleworkz

Monday, December 17, 2007

TAST, Class & Some Christmas "stuff"

Only two more weeks of what has been a most fun and educational year for me - the TAST Challenge!!!!! Of course there were a couple of stitches that presented a real challenge, but most of the stitches were delightful to work .... like this Berry Stitch! Again I stitched on 18ct Aida and the example on the left is worked with DMC #5 perle cotton and the sample on the right was worked with two shades of 4mm ribbon and I added a bead for the center. The stitch is easier to see in the perle cotton but I did enjoy working it with the ribbon. Maybe next time I'll use two different sizes of ribbon ...... narrow for the inner portion and wider for the outer portion ...... I don't know if it will work but it might be worth a try. After all, nothing ventured, nothing gained LOL

Ahhhh, I really hate to have the encrusted class end as I've learned sooooo much and have been very challenged. Several years ago when I first became involved in crazy quilt stitching my only reference point was a quilt made by my hubby's grandmother. The seams were embroidered with wool, as well as any solid pieces ....... flowers and other items found on the farm - a rooster, for instance. So adding beads, buttons, charms, etc. has been a very slow process for me. The one corner I had trouble with on this square (the upper right) I finally decided needed some of my tatting ..... so I tatted one of my favorite earring patterns in a #30 thread ..... I made three of the pieces and added oat beads (which I'd not used before) and tiny amber glass beads, and a silver angel head charm. But where I placed these items left a bit more "space" than I wanted. I searched my collection of tiny flowers and found one that encorporated the softer colors that would not take away from the tatting but yet fill the space. In my button/bead trail I used TAST week 49's pistil stitch as I felt the area needed a little greenery and I didn't want leaves LOL In the center piece I added a hummingbird charm which I thought gave a completeness to that area. In the area of shaded ribbon roses I auditioned several gold charms - butterflies and dragonflies - but didn't like the result, so instead, I added dark purple seed beads to the "seam" embellishment just below. I probably could add some beads within the purple chevron stitch area of that embellishment but for now I'm leaving that area alone. In the lower right hand corner I did add some green "grass" and a gold butterfly charm which I think "completed" that area. On the whole, I am very satisfied with the end results. Thank you Sharon Boggin (inaminuteago) for making such a wonderful class available. I will be learning for many years to come!!!!!!!!

Last week I told about receiving a very precious Christmas card from a special friend in Pennsylvania (KTJ). For some reason the gold beads are not showing up to outline the beautifully stitched monogram in the left hand corner. I have always wanted a Christmas sweater (just haven't knitted me one yet) and the way the design shows up (at least to me) I have a very lovely "sweater". Katie may have meant this to be a warm flannel nightgown for the cold winter nights here ...... see how my imagination runs tee hee! I am enjoying looking at and studying my lovely postcard. Thanks sweetie!

Aha! At last I've finished the purple and pink knitted ripple afghan for my youngest granddaughter for Christmas. It was the only gift I made this year. She will be 7 years old on Dec. 28th and several months ago she mentioned she would like a purple and pink afghan. It took several weeks of looking before I finally found enough "same dye lot" skeins. It is larger than it appears as I just draped the afghan on the recliner in order to get a presentable photo.

5 Comments:

At 12/17/2007 11:25:00 AM, Blogger Lori said...

My goodness! you have been so busy! Love the afghan for your granddaughter..I have made a couple of quilts, small and large and they are they're favorites! it's nice to be rewarded with smiles after all that work.
I also Sharon B's class last year and learned so much, and refer back to the booklet quiet often.
Love your postcard. What a neat presentation...flannel pjs, huh? Very nice work Norma. Have a wonderful Holiday!
Lori Kinney

 
At 12/17/2007 02:07:00 PM, Blogger silkworm said...

Norma your TAST and encrusted photos are amazing and I love the purple afghan. Well done, keep stitching happily and keep us posted!
Hugs, Maria V

 
At 12/17/2007 02:18:00 PM, Blogger crazyQstitcher said...

What a lot of work in your Afghan, which is beautiful. This will be a much loved rug for your GD.

 
At 12/17/2007 04:51:00 PM, Blogger Susan said...

You've been really busy. That afghan is going to be her favorite thing in the coming cold months! KTJ does such beautiful things, doesn't she? She's a sweetheart, too. I love your berry stitches, particularly the blue one. I would like to see what happens if you do it in the two different-sized threads.

 
At 12/18/2007 09:47:00 AM, Blogger gocrazywithme said...

I can see how much you enjoyed the encrusted class! It shines through every stitch and bead!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home