Norma's Needleworkz

Sunday, April 13, 2008

Back in the Dye Pots

For some unknown reason this past week was one where I wanted to play with my dyes and of course since I mixed colors, not really paying attention to what I mixed, I'm just naming the results the way I see them LOL I started off the first pic with wrapping some of my DMC #30 white Cordonnet around an empty toilet paper roll and after soaking it I used the droppers with bright red and goldenrod dyes for a "new" butterfly tatting thread color. Now I have to wind the thread onto the plastic DMC floss holders. After I set that aside to dry I used the combination of bright red and golden rod for the rest of the pieces. I did use some olive to paint a bit on the basket and added more of the bright red with the paint brush. I'm not too happy with this basket and it does look better in "real" life. The fans look more peachy and I wish I had dyed some silk ribbon that color (sigh).

For this "roll" of crochet thread I used goldenrod and brown and I've started winding this on the floss holders. It dried to a beautiful honey color. Although the silk ribbon looks yellow here it is really a very light honey color. All of these items were white but as you can see they did not all dye with the same intensity. That is one of the things that amazes me when I play with the dyes. How can they all go in the same and come out different?????

I'm going to have to stop using so much red on the flower baskets LOL With the exception of the second lace from the top all of these items were white. The lace exception was ecru cluny cotton and the cluny laces take the dyes so differently from the other cotton laces. The flower on the bottom right was also painted with the goldenrod for an additional effect. With the exception of the two pieces in the bottom of this group I'm calling this color - sandy peach! It is a very lucious color!

Boy, did I have fun with this next group! First of all the top piece of lace went through multiple dye baths and I just wasn't happy with any of them so as a last resort I put it in with these pieces. It started out as an ecru lace, went through a green, a bluegreen, and another (forgot which one next) dye bath .... it is now a soft mauve and I've decided to leave it. Some things just don't work LOL The second lace is a nylon lace because it didn't want to take the dye at all but finally accepted enough to give a tint of color. Everything else did just fine. For the angel I did paint a touch of blue on her dress just so she wouldn't be a "plain jane".

In my last post I mentioned that some of the pieces that came out in the mint coloration I wasn't too happy with ..... well this next group were those pieces. With the exception of the peacock I added some olive to the green and redid them with very happy results. The peacock I left alone and just painted it.

I just can't seem to get away from green (sigh). All of these pieces went through the same dye bath but as you can see with varying results. Susan do you recognize these lace pieces? I am very, very happy with these results. Some of the pieces in these groups will definitely find their way onto my Season to Season Summer swap for the CQ4Newbies square for which I'm auditioning fabrics.

AHA! another piece of fabric thrown to the dye pots! Originally ecru Aida, it went through the lime green dye bath and then I painted some bright red and goldenrod for a tie-dyed concept. Not sure how I'm going to use this ..... probably some more stitches for my cq journal.

This completed square is a "homework" assignment. Not really, but that is what I'll call it. With the exception of the ribbon in the upper right corner, ALL the seam treatments are some of the "results" of my stitch journal and were taken fully from Carole Samples' Treasury of Crazy Quilt Stitches. I'm looking forward to learning more to add to other pieced squares.

Usually I begin my posts with tatting but this time I'll close with some more tatted butterflies. The thread I used here isPearl Crown Rayon from YLI and is a machine embroidery thread. It is really a tricky thread for tatting but the primary colors were what I was looking for. I purchased several different varigated color spools and have plans to use these threads also for embroidery on my cq squares.

I can't believe I posted two weeks running! Don't expect anything next week .... tat's all folks!!!!!!!!

6 Comments:

At 4/14/2008 06:38:00 AM, Blogger gocrazywithme said...

Looks like you've been having fun dying everything in sight! It's hard to stop once you get started, isn't it? The peacocks are really beautiful, and the baskets. And the silk ribbon. Oh, heck, it all looks great!

 
At 4/14/2008 07:46:00 AM, Blogger Gerry said...

The dye bug certainly got a hold of you. LOL. Your pieces look wonderful!

 
At 4/14/2008 08:20:00 AM, Blogger Rose Anne B said...

OH OH OH Norma they are beautiful!!! I love your Venice lace pieces and well your tatted butterfies are to DIE for!!!! I especially love that sunflower one coloured spectacularly! Just LOVELY!!!

Rose Anne

 
At 4/14/2008 03:51:00 PM, Blogger Thelma said...

You sure are having lots of fun...you done went and got the dyeing addiction. lol They look great! I love your primary butterflys,,you do such beautiful tatting.

 
At 5/02/2008 05:02:00 PM, Blogger Marilee Rockley said...

Wow, you have been having fun with your dyeing! Very pretty - I think my favorites are the mauve and the soft green. I don't know why some of the things took the dye differently. Maybe some were a blend of different fibers.

 
At 6/08/2008 08:15:00 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

It looks like you were very busy that month. I like the little butterflies. I personally think that little butterflies are a fun little thing to tat?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home