Norma's Needleworkz

Tuesday, June 10, 2008

HOT! HOT! HOT!

Since my last post the weather for June has been "off the wall". For instance on the evening of June 3 a small tornado touched down not far from where I was. The first tornado in our sheltered area since 1974. For the past several days the temperature has been between 98F and 100F. Way too hot for this time of year since the calendar says it is still Spring. Whew! Wonder what Summer will be like????

So to think "cool" I'm tatting snowflakes LOL This one is number 22 in the 25 motif challenge I'm doing for my HBT tatting group. Only three more to go to finish the challenge. This has been encouraging me to try new patterns so I'm thinking about doing another challenge when this one is completed.

Several posts back I mentioned that I had joined another Yahoo group .... this time a knitting one that is working on the patterns of Elizabeth Zimmerman. When I joined some were working on the Mystery Blanket and so that is where I started. The second "square" turned out larger than the first and by the time I had finished another one this "square" was back on the 16" circular needles and turned into a hat LOL

Another view of the hat. Several people have commented on this hat as to the fact that I should make more of them to sell in the fall bazzar. Hmmmm just might consider that!

Another square that will fit the blanket.

Last post this was still on the needle ..... no more pics of the Myster Blanket until some of the squares are sewn together.

Back in 1989 after I had been teaching knitting for a few years I came across a book by Jacqueline Fee entitled The SWEATER WORKSHOP. It began by knitting a hat using multiple techniques. Yes, that pink and white object is a knitted hat. Not to be worn of course but teaches, on a smaller scale, many sweater techniques such as various ribbings, two color ribbing, pockets, buttonholes, two color pattern knitting, lace edging, eyelets, idot cord, knitted hem with initials, etc. It is a great teaching tool for my classes and was fun to make. The reason I'm showing it here is that several of the members of the EZ knitting group have completed this project so that is another "hint" that I've found the right group for me. Must remember to post the Mystery Blanket hat and this sampler to my group album.

A way to use up those "hate to throw away little bitty scraps". This shows three steps for a crazy quilt bookmark. I'll post some finished ones another time. On the right the pieced strip, in the middle the embellished piece with seam allowances basted and on the left the backing with basted seam allowances. I only use flat sequins and bits of tatting besides embroidery for the embellishments so as not to cause harm to the book. Directions for the cq bookmark are found here: http://www.cqmagonline.com/vol04iss03/aarticles/460/index.shtml for anyone interested.

Although this could also be used as a bookmark I've made it into a small bellpull .... the hardware was on sale! This is a wide piece of Ribband with some very basic embroidery stitches.

The back of the bellpull shows my finishing. The ends were turned under and hemed. The backing is grosgrain ribbon not quite the width of the Ribband and fused with Heat 'n Bond a double sided fusable interfacing. Hope it is cooler the next time I post LOL

5 Comments:

At 6/10/2008 08:17:00 AM, Blogger Amy Munson said...

Love the tatted snow flake, tatting is on my long list of things to try someday.

 
At 6/10/2008 01:44:00 PM, Blogger gocrazywithme said...

Keep tatting those snowflakes, Norma. Your weather is hotter than normal and ours has been a little cooler. Surely things will straighten themselves out here pretty soon!
The knitted hat turned out adorable! I definitely think you should make some for fall bazaars!

 
At 6/10/2008 08:19:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your Tatting is so beautiful. It was something I wanted to learn but never got around to it. It is a lost art. Thanks for the inspiration.

 
At 6/10/2008 11:23:00 PM, Blogger islandgirlA/alicia in Hawaii/Alicia DR Hankins/ The RealW8 Cook said...

The tatting is beautiful! I tried tatting...got all tangled...What do you starch and block with? Some people use glue...do you use glue? smiles, alicia in Hawaii

 
At 6/11/2008 09:17:00 AM, Blogger Vivian said...

Hi Norma!
I love your knitting, the shawl is absolutely beautiful. My mom loved to do the lace patterns. I picked up knitting again ... but, I've just been working on socks. There is something comforting about knitting when the rest of the world is running at such a fast pace.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home