Norma's Needleworkz

Sunday, August 17, 2008

Lace and Embroidery

Lace making in any form intrigues me and so I love knitting lace as one of those forms. This doily I finished August 6 was knitted only with doublepointed needles size zero (0) and with Bucilla Petite Wondersheen which is approximately a size 40 crochet cotton. The edging was crocheted with a size D hook. The pattern is "Valentine", part of a set and is from FIRST BOOK OF MODERN LACE KNITTING by Marianne Kinzel. Her patterns are worked both from the printed work and from charts. She suggested using a size 50 thread and British dpns size 13 (equals American size 1) with this piece to finish 8" across. Being a loose knitter I used smaller needles and larger thread and still my doily finished out to the 8" across. BTW it took less than 10 hours to knit.

Being a sock knitter for many years - using double-pointed needles - I decided to try a different technique ... using 2 circular needles. Naturally I didn't want to start a pair of socks without first trying out the technique. One of my new sock books Sensational Knitted Socks by Charlene Schurch suggested using her class sock pattern. She gives three techniques for knitting this sock - 4 dpns, 5 dpns, or 2 24" circular needles. There is another sock knitter who also suggests a 40" circular needle. Well, I don't have a 40" in any size so before ordering I thought the 2 24" circular needles would be the way to go. As a rule of thumb you should use only one brand of needles in a project as different manufacturers sometimes have a "difference" in sizing. I didn't have 2 24" needles alike so used two different brands (one of which was bamboo) mainly so that I wouldn't get confused as to which needle I should be using at any one time LOL Not to worry, once I got the hang of what to do the sock was a breeze. Using a size 4 and some leftover worsted weight I proceeded and in a very short time my sock was completed. A perfect size for a Christmas tree ornament. A bit plain as is so a little dressing up will work wonders, don't you think? Also just the right size for that special "little" gift or even Christmas candy! I just may knit some more of these for the fall bazzar the senior center holds each year.

Another of my favorite lace techniques - tatting! The top ornament is the result of just playing around ... it may even be someone's published pattern and if it is I'd like to give credit but this is what happened when I was demonstrating while waiting for my line dancing session to begin. The bottom ornament is "Three Mountains" and is the first pattern in Tatting for the Tree by Karey Solomon which was part of my Christmas in July swap on HBT (Here-Be-Tatters). This ornament is also shown with petit point beads and a very generous supply of them were also in my swap package. Both of these ornaments were made with size 50 thread and that is the size Karey suggested using with the petit point beads. A very helpful hint from her was which different size beads to use for various size threads.

Aha! At last another sampler in a round robin to work on ..... well, really I received two samplers at the same time. Our little group of sampler embroiderers has gotten smaller as you can see the second person to stitch on this one had to drop out when life got in the way. This sampler is from Mandy (UK) and uses a varigated thread on a blue mottled linen fabric. The autumn tones of the thread in a Blackwork pattern just glow on the blue background. The second pattern is cross-stitch and threads to finish it along with the pattern were included when it came to me. I've been studying this sampler and shortly will begin working my addition. This is the first round robin sampler that Mandy and I have participated in and before I send it on to the next stitcher I'll come back and show you what I added.

This sampler is owned by Margaret, a Virginia stitcher .... the tulips are her's. Mandy (UK) added the Blackwork band next and also included some bugle beads. I will really have to think hard on what to add here so decided to do this one second. Hopefully by the time I've completed my portion of Mandy's sampler I'll know what I want to add here. Before I send it on I'll post my addition. Oh, my, decisions, decisions! But thats what a round robin does ..... challenges the next person and I find it most exciting! Stitching time here I come .....

9 Comments:

At 8/18/2008 03:05:00 AM, Blogger Mandy said...

How marvellous to see both these samplers again! Thanks for posting the pictures.

 
At 8/18/2008 06:00:00 AM, Blogger Margaret said...

The sock is adorable and in red it would be a great ornament. Can't wait to see my sampler. It is so nice to see it again.
Margaret

 
At 8/18/2008 04:25:00 PM, Blogger NormaH said...

I can see the sock in red. Patience dear friend .... Mandy's sampler first!

 
At 8/19/2008 08:19:00 AM, Blogger gocrazywithme said...

Norma, love the cross stitch samplers. What fun that would be!

 
At 8/19/2008 02:48:00 PM, Blogger NormaH said...

Thank you Janet, it is amazing how our stitching differences blend together so well.

 
At 8/19/2008 06:50:00 PM, Blogger Susan said...

What a beautiful doily! I'm always impressed with everything you do, but 10 hours? That's miraculous! The socks are so cute - guess those took longer. Thanks for sharing all the things you've been doing lately.

 
At 8/24/2008 06:56:00 PM, Blogger NormaH said...

Thank you for your kind words Susan. You always say the nicest things to make me feel better. BTW the sock took less than 4 hours.

 
At 12/17/2008 12:23:00 PM, Blogger Lacenlynn said...

Hi, Just wanted to stop by your site and check it out. Love it.

Hugs, Lynn

 
At 12/17/2008 01:20:00 PM, Blogger NormaH said...

Thanks Lynn, I appreciate your visit.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home