Norma's Needleworkz

Monday, September 01, 2008

Bobbin Lace and New Sock(s)

Okay, Folks .... my first attempt at Bobbin Lace in progress! Well, this really isn't lace yet as I have to "master" the technique LOL It really isn't as hard as it looks once you start to understand the process. The first lesson in my textbook BOBBIN LACEMAKING by Doris Southard was a bit daunting until I followed the advice of some of my HBT (Here-Be-Tatters) group. Sue, our retiring list mom, calmed my nerves and Barb sent me a magazine article that also helped. The first lesson has four samples and what I'm doing here is sample #1 and is known as CLOTH STITCH which is a background bit. I will continue with this part until I run out of thread. Although the first lesson has all four samples worked together I know I don't have enough thread on my bobbins as I only used two yards per pair.

I tried to get a close-up but I'm still fumbling my way around editing my photos so didn't do so hot a job. In a way I'm glad you can't see a close, close-up as there are some mistakes .... but then that is a big part of the learning process .... making mistakes. In some hints I read it was suggested to keep the bobbins from rolling around to use a towel under them .... so I put a towel under my bobbins and found that hint to be very successful! I can hardly wait to use up this thread so that I can start the next sample in lesson one.

Aha! The first of my next pair of socks. Although you can't see it here there is a lace pattern so when the pair is finished I'll have my son take a photo of them on my feet.

There are several sock knitting techniques that I'm trying out but the completed sock, worked on while "watching" the Olympics was done in the traditional 4 dbl pointed needle style and I used a different heel technique .... short rows for the heel shaping. I was a bit uncomfortable with that technique for the heel but managed to struggle through. You can see the yellow needles I used for that sock. So for the mate I decided to see how the two circular needles would work for speed as well as tension wise. I did discover that the two needles over the four were quite a bit faster and when measuring for size there wasn't a big difference there. Also played with the "magic loop" technique on some scrap yarn. I think I'll like that technique as well. The "magic loop" uses a 40" circular needle in the same manner as the two circular or 4/5 dbl pointed ..... article completed "in the round". The next thing to try with my socks is to knit from the toe up instead of top down. Of course that means using a totally different type of cast on but then this is my year of trying new things LOL So we'll see what happens there.

The last of my Season To Season swap blocks from my CQ4Newbies group. Half of the embellishing had to be done by me and then it was mailed to a swap partner to be completed. Janet, in Colorado, was my partner here and did such gorgeous work. As soon as I get a bulletin board hung up in my "studio/work/play" room I'll pin the four up until I decide how to finish them off as a wall hanging. At one time I thought about fabric framing them individually and changing them with the season but have decided against that as I want to enjoy all four all the time. We'll just have to wait and see what happens here.

11 Comments:

At 9/01/2008 11:52:00 AM, Blogger Susan said...

Looks like you are off to a great start, Norma! I'll love seeing the finished bit. Doesn't matter if you make mistakes. Just like life, that's how we learn. =)

The sock looks wonderful. I could see a bit of the lacy look it will have when worn. I really admire you for trying all these new things. I think that keeps us young - with the advantage of having more time to play because we aren't! LOL!

It'll be great to see what you decide to do with the 4 season blocks. Does your camera have a little flower icon? If it does, you'll get better up-close pictures if you click that on first. It's for taking pics from 6-24" from the subject. I can't remember if I mentioned that to you before or not. =)

 
At 9/01/2008 01:26:00 PM, Blogger Jane said...

The socks are a glorious colour. Looking forward to seeing more of the lace.

 
At 9/01/2008 02:37:00 PM, Blogger Thelma said...

Wow Norma, bobbin lace looks like it could be difficult, but I don't quite understand how it works. lol
I know you will figure it out. Can't wait to see when you get the lesson finished.
Love your socks! Looks like they will be really warm.
Your season to season block is very pretty. Can't wait to see what you decide to do with those.

 
At 9/02/2008 05:55:00 AM, Blogger NormaH said...

Jane left a comment but for some reason it did not show up after my okay. Jane I did read your comment ... thank you!

 
At 9/02/2008 08:43:00 AM, Blogger gocrazywithme said...

Bobbin lace looks very confuzzling to me, but I am certain you will master it! So glad you like what I did to your summer block.

 
At 9/02/2008 01:44:00 PM, Blogger Sarah E. said...

Norma,I love the color of the sock! Your pillow looks quite well done, congrats! I know you'll do fine -- Doris Southard's book is one of the best ones to start with. Bestest regards!

 
At 9/05/2008 05:41:00 PM, Blogger Monique's Boutique said...

I like the socks. I haven't adventured there yet, except fo rsome baby booties. But it is on my to-do-list. And I also purchased the bobbin lace kit a few years ago, but couldn't work with the "pillow", so I'm going make one. Love the pics.

 
At 9/05/2008 07:29:00 PM, Blogger NormaH said...

Thank you Monique. I love the fit and feel of hand knit socks. As you found, the "pillow" in the kit isn't really any good and the one I made works just super. Good luck with bobbin lace and hope you try some socks soon.

 
At 9/06/2008 04:03:00 PM, Blogger Gerry said...

I love your sense of adventure, Norma. You have a special zest for life and all things in it.

Thank you for stopping by to visit today, and for your kind words. It's nice to hear from you.

Good luck with the lace making. The socks look great!

 
At 9/06/2008 06:57:00 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I just went to my lace guild today and took photos of all the bobbin lacer's work on their lace pillows. You can come check it out if you get bored. You are so talented, doing so many different things!

 
At 9/06/2008 08:06:00 PM, Blogger NormaH said...

It is late tonight but tomorrow afternoon I will definitely check your blog out. Thanks for telling me about the BL pics.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home