Norma's Needleworkz

Monday, September 08, 2008

Brief Additions

My completed lace socks. I can't believe I completed them so quickly. Working with two circular needles makes short work of knitting socks. The first sock was worked on the traditional double pointed needles while "watching" the gymnastic and swimming events of the Olympics (off and on for about ten days). The second sock took about half the time or less than five days .... of course I was familiar with the pattern before starting the second half of the pair LOL They fit perfectly and are very comfortable. Can't wait for cooler weather so I can wear them.

Working through the TREASURY OF CRAZY QUILT STITCHES by Carole Samples here is my segment of Chevron Stitches. The fabric is 18ct Aida and I used three different colors of Sassa Lynne hand-dyed threads. There were other choices I could have stitched but my little piece of fabric doesn't hold many choices and I did so want to try some of the more different ones presented, although the first one (upper left) is a typical Chevron Stitch as well as the third one (upper right).

My very first attempt at bobbin lace .... well almost ..... I kept taking it out and starting over. The more solid area is worked in Cloth Stitch and is in reality a piece of plain weaving aka as Weaving Ground. Just below is an attempt at Half-Stitch Ground. Part of it looks ok (at least to me) but there is too much space on the left side. I need to practice this pattern a whole lot and I'll try again so I can use up the thread on my bobbins as I need to give them some weight.

Today after my quilting session at the senior center I went by the craft and hobby shop to purchase some 30 gauge wire and 5mm screw eyes to add some weight to my bobbins, a technique known as spangling. I have an old broken necklace that I will use with the wire and screw eyes. Weighted bobbins helps give better tension to the lace making. Comments from bobbin lacers would be most welcome! Trying to get the second part correct kept me up way past my bedtime several evenings and I think I finally went to bed about 1:30am one morning and 4am another. The next morning, before I even had my first cup of tea I went and undid everything so I could start over. Have I become addicted to learning this technique or what! Of course this sample worked in a thicker, non-traditional lace thread doesn't have the delicaate, fragile look of true lace but I need to know what I'm doing before "advaancing" to the proper lace thread.

We'll see how long it takes before I have a proper piece of Bobbin Lace to "show"!

13 Comments:

At 9/08/2008 02:39:00 PM, Blogger Susan said...

Love your stitch sampler. One of these days soon, I'll start doing mine again. Your bobbin lace looks as if it is a complicated process. I think your ideas for weights are good, and maybe it will look more the way you want it to next time. I was overwhelmed just looking at the set up for it, let alone trying to do it! You are doing great!

 
At 9/08/2008 04:38:00 PM, Blogger NormaH said...

Thanks Susan, your comments are always helpful. I've just finished my second bobbin lace "sample" (part two only).

 
At 9/08/2008 06:19:00 PM, Blogger Melisa Bakos said...

this sounds weird but if you look at your lace photo it looks like a three d model of a leg. I know I am a little weird. but when I was young I didn't have tv or video games and we looked to see what we could imagine in things like the clouds. a lost art...

 
At 9/08/2008 06:42:00 PM, Blogger NormaH said...

Not weird, just a very active imagination! And I could see the same thing once you pointed it out. Hey, I still love to try to see what I can in clouds.

 
At 9/08/2008 06:45:00 PM, Blogger Margaret said...

I thought leg too, but then my daughter actually has a clear tape leg and foot that she did in art class and the lace reminded me of the lines of folded tape.
The socks are lovely. I should drive up and get lace knitting lessons from you since I seem unable to knit some fine silk I have into a scarf.

 
At 9/08/2008 06:51:00 PM, Blogger NormaH said...

Margaret, I wish we lived closer as it would be so nice to have someone to knit lace with. BTW where do you find silk yarn for knitting?

 
At 9/09/2008 08:42:00 AM, Blogger Margaret said...

There is a lovely yarn shop nearby called Lettuce Knits that has some of the most amazing yarns. I wish I had a LNS that was as close or as well stocked. Mind you, the yarn store is next to an incredible bead store so it is never a cheap trip, especially if the girls go with me.

 
At 9/09/2008 11:45:00 AM, Blogger NormaH said...

Lucky you Margaret. Lettuce Knits sounds indeed delightful. I order my special yarns online as the current LYS owners are rude if you don't belong to "their circle" of clients. They are retiring and selling the business which will move to another part of town. I may have to visit when the new shop opens. The only local places to shop for any supplies are Michael's, JoAnn's or A.C. Moore's.

 
At 9/10/2008 10:17:00 PM, Blogger Maggie R said...

Love those socks!!!!
xoxo
((((hugs))))
Maggie

 
At 9/11/2008 04:44:00 AM, Blogger NormaH said...

Thanks Maggie, they are soooo soft and comfortable.

 
At 9/20/2008 02:02:00 PM, Blogger Guzzisue said...

if you thread is fairly thick, gently pull the bobbins when you gat to the end of the row, looks like your bobbins aren't drilled for spangles, if you check out http://bp1.blogger.com/_U0V1HRhB2dQ/SCak2tSnfPI/AAAAAAAABL8/Quh15KDIHUI/s1600-h/Ebay+lace+bobbins.jpg you will see what I mean. When you use fine threads, gently stroke your bobbins downwards to help the tension.

 
At 9/20/2008 05:36:00 PM, Blogger NormaH said...

Thank you Guzziesue for your encouraging comment on my feeble attempt at bobbin lace. This week I will begin lessons from a lady who learned while living in England and I am eagerly anticipating learning this beautiful skill.

 
At 9/25/2008 08:17:00 AM, Blogger Candi said...

Norma, your blog is always so full of the wonderful things you do. You've been nominated for the Kreative Blogger award. Please go to my blog and see the information and dowload the award.
nttp://www.candiseyecandy.blogspot.com/
hugz:)
Candi

 

Post a Comment

<< Home