Sometime back I mentioned on my blog that I was learning Bobbin Lace so I decided to show the results of my lessons. I've only had four lessons but each one is from 9:30 am until 4 or 4:30 pm with a lunch break. Learning to manipulate six pairs of bobbins is not easy but I am enjoying every moment of my classes .... even when I have to retro lace (that is when I have to un-do my work and start that part over). Both pieces are the same pattern with a difference. The piece on the left was started by my teacher - she worked about the first 1/2" and I completed the first section and began the second section in that session. After I got home I won't tell you how many times I had to rework the second section or how many times I did the third section over. I finally had to give up on the fourth section and wait until my next class. After finally getting that part straight in my head I finished the sampler in class and started the next "sampler" on my own. Everyone in the class was very enthusiastic over my tension and how quickly I was learning. If you notice, the sampler on the right has one more pattern in the second section - this was the hardest part to get right so I worked more there and made the third section shorter - it was easier to learn. In the meantime I had to prick my pattern for my first real lace piece. When I walked into that fourth class I could show my second finished sampler, my pricked pattern and two bobbins that I had "spangled" .... this is adding weight to the bobbins in order for them to hang properly (no photo of those bobbins yet). My first piece of real lace has a fan pattern (working with 11 pairs of bobbins instead of the six pair I'd used previously) and I'm having a bit of trouble making everything work properly ..... my brain knows what I'm supposed to do but my fingers want to do something else LOL I have a whole week to work on this before I go back to class. We really prefer working weekly but both of us had previous commitments that will allow me a bit more time to "struggle" on my own. Will show a photo when I've made some progress!
My latest pair of lace patterned knitted socks worked with two circular needles and knitted in the traditional top down style. These are cotton and I won't wear them in the coldest part of winter. I've almost finished half of another pair .... this time 100% wool and I used a new technique for me. Forgot to take a photo of this in progress sock and the new technique is one of the "toe up" techniques which I like very much .... weaving the toes together does not always give me the smooth result I prefer so I think I'll be doing more of the "toe up" knitting.
I have gobs and gobs of crochet thread that has been given to me ..... odds and ends left over from others projects and so I'm working up small and quick items that will be offered for sale in next years bazzar held by the senior center. This shaded blues and white cross bookmark is just one of the patterns I'm using.
For crazy quilters here are two groups of stitches that I've worked following the diagrams found in Carole Samples' TREASURY of CRAZY QUILT STITCHES. Both groups were stitched on 18ct Aida using Sassa Lynne threads. These are single strand hand-dyed threads equivalent to 2 strands of floss. This group shows various Fern Stitch possibilites.
Here are some Buttonhole possibilities. I might work some more of these on another piece of 18 ct. Aida as Buttonhole is one of my favorite stitches.
My No.1 Son is always on the lookout for threads for me and in his latest e-bay thread purchase was a large group of DMC varigated threads. Although the second from the left looks red it is a varigated pink. The fourth from the right is a wine/red and the second from the right leans to brown/red. Gorgeous colors all and I'm looking forward to using them.