Norma's Needleworkz

Sunday, November 09, 2008

Latest Stitchings!

Sometime back I mentioned on my blog that I was learning Bobbin Lace so I decided to show the results of my lessons. I've only had four lessons but each one is from 9:30 am until 4 or 4:30 pm with a lunch break. Learning to manipulate six pairs of bobbins is not easy but I am enjoying every moment of my classes .... even when I have to retro lace (that is when I have to un-do my work and start that part over). Both pieces are the same pattern with a difference. The piece on the left was started by my teacher - she worked about the first 1/2" and I completed the first section and began the second section in that session. After I got home I won't tell you how many times I had to rework the second section or how many times I did the third section over. I finally had to give up on the fourth section and wait until my next class. After finally getting that part straight in my head I finished the sampler in class and started the next "sampler" on my own. Everyone in the class was very enthusiastic over my tension and how quickly I was learning. If you notice, the sampler on the right has one more pattern in the second section - this was the hardest part to get right so I worked more there and made the third section shorter - it was easier to learn. In the meantime I had to prick my pattern for my first real lace piece. When I walked into that fourth class I could show my second finished sampler, my pricked pattern and two bobbins that I had "spangled" .... this is adding weight to the bobbins in order for them to hang properly (no photo of those bobbins yet). My first piece of real lace has a fan pattern (working with 11 pairs of bobbins instead of the six pair I'd used previously) and I'm having a bit of trouble making everything work properly ..... my brain knows what I'm supposed to do but my fingers want to do something else LOL I have a whole week to work on this before I go back to class. We really prefer working weekly but both of us had previous commitments that will allow me a bit more time to "struggle" on my own. Will show a photo when I've made some progress!

My latest pair of lace patterned knitted socks worked with two circular needles and knitted in the traditional top down style. These are cotton and I won't wear them in the coldest part of winter. I've almost finished half of another pair .... this time 100% wool and I used a new technique for me. Forgot to take a photo of this in progress sock and the new technique is one of the "toe up" techniques which I like very much .... weaving the toes together does not always give me the smooth result I prefer so I think I'll be doing more of the "toe up" knitting.

I have gobs and gobs of crochet thread that has been given to me ..... odds and ends left over from others projects and so I'm working up small and quick items that will be offered for sale in next years bazzar held by the senior center. This shaded blues and white cross bookmark is just one of the patterns I'm using.

For crazy quilters here are two groups of stitches that I've worked following the diagrams found in Carole Samples' TREASURY of CRAZY QUILT STITCHES. Both groups were stitched on 18ct Aida using Sassa Lynne threads. These are single strand hand-dyed threads equivalent to 2 strands of floss. This group shows various Fern Stitch possibilites.

Here are some Buttonhole possibilities. I might work some more of these on another piece of 18 ct. Aida as Buttonhole is one of my favorite stitches.

My No.1 Son is always on the lookout for threads for me and in his latest e-bay thread purchase was a large group of DMC varigated threads. Although the second from the left looks red it is a varigated pink. The fourth from the right is a wine/red and the second from the right leans to brown/red. Gorgeous colors all and I'm looking forward to using them.

8 Comments:

At 11/09/2008 08:02:00 PM, Blogger Rose Anne B said...

WOW you LOVE your knitted socks eh??? Lovely fern design. AND I LOVE the purple varigated set of stitches - I could see using them on CQing! Thanks for sharing.

 
At 11/09/2008 10:33:00 PM, Blogger Susan said...

How cool that your son found those for you! Great colors! I love your socks, too. And the bobbin lace looks great! Your samplers for CCS look wonderful. I'm still behind!

 
At 11/10/2008 02:00:00 AM, Blogger Jane said...

You have been busy. Well done on persevering with your lace, looking forward to seeing the next installment

 
At 11/10/2008 04:17:00 AM, Blogger NormaH said...

Hi Rose Anne, thanks for visiting and your comment.

Thanks Susan, you always have encouraging words for me.

 
At 11/12/2008 11:16:00 PM, Blogger Guzzisue said...

lace samples are looking good :-) following with great interest especially as one of my friends would like to learn next year, I have found her a pillow and a few bobbins and I'm now looking for very basic prickings for her. Wish I could knit properly!!

 
At 11/17/2008 11:45:00 PM, Blogger zarina said...

I'm glad you are doing well in your bobbin lace. I can't wait to work on my kit but it will be a long while since I have many things I want to do after my master's thesis is complete in one month time.

 
At 11/18/2008 02:00:00 PM, Blogger Julia said...

Hi Norma, sorry I thought I was commenting on Maureens blog last time, so many blogs, I got mixed up.
LOVE your knitted socks!
I hope mine turn out as good as yours...
I could never do bobbin lace, you are brave to tackle that, I'm sure it will be beautiful.
Hugs

 
At 12/18/2008 02:09:00 PM, Blogger SH Sue said...

OMG. I LOVE the purple socks!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home