Norma's Needleworkz

Monday, December 29, 2008

Final 2008 post

Many people like to use the end of the year as a summary of what they have accomplished during the past year but I won't do that. It is just not me. I would like to share a couple of photos of some items that have a special meaning to me.

On one of my cq groups (Carole's Crazy Stitchers) we did a Secret Santa .... yes, I know that several of the groups do Secret Santas, but this one works a bit different. Over a 10 week period and alternating weeks, ending with the first week in December we send our secret person a small cq giftee. Then for December we reveal ourselves and send something we have made that is cq related. With each giftee I received there was a very special handmade card and personal note which are treasures within themselves. When my Secret Santa revealed herself to me she included a Crab-apple Hill pattern that really utilizes crazy quilting ideas to the utmost. The handmade portion was a machine embroidered redwork stocking square. This was such a true delight as I have been gathering patterns and background fabrics for several years to make a redwork quilt. Now my first square is waiting patiently for its companions to reveal themselves. So, actually beginning my redwork quilt is one of my goals for the new year .... even if only one additional square is completed.

I did receive two special gifts this year that I wanted to share. The first was THE BEADER'S HANDBOOK. A gift from a very special family at church. Although it is mainly geared to beaded jewelry there is much information there that will help me with beading decisions not only with my cq but tatting and knitting .... yes, I do beaded knitting also. Many times I'm frustrated with sizing beads ..... especially in tatting and this book will greatly help there. In cq the sizing of beads is just what looks good where I want to put them LOL I'm finding this book very helpful.

My #1 Son is always on the lookout for needlework tools and threads that he thinks I would like. So for Christmas he gave me an antique German Silver shuttle (1870-1890) and several spools of vintage silk buttonhole twist by Belding Corticelli. During the year he has given me waxed silk thread, pure linen thread made in Northern Ireland, other Belding Corticelli threads and packages of vintage 18 count gold eye embroidery needles. I'm one lucky mom!

I really tried to post a larger pic of the shuttle to show off the beautiful engraving. It is truly a beautiful shuttle and does have German Silver engraved on the other side which is also beautifully engraved. The thread on the shuttle, which is half full, looks to be a size 70-80 tatting thread. Will try tatting with this shuttle soon, but just had to show it off here first.

May everyone in blogland have a Healthy and Happy New Year 2009!

7 Comments:

At 12/29/2008 02:52:00 PM, Blogger Jane said...

I don't do tatting, but that shuttle looks gorgeous. What a lovely son you have to know what you will like

 
At 12/29/2008 09:24:00 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Your shuttle is lovely! What a sweet son you have.

 
At 12/29/2008 09:58:00 PM, Blogger Jenny said...

Oh My! That tatting shuttle is just beautiful. Lucky you!

 
At 12/30/2008 02:25:00 AM, Blogger Jeanne said...

Beautiful presents, Norma. This tattle is really a masterpiece; your son is very nice and thoughtful.

 
At 12/30/2008 04:28:00 AM, Blogger NormaH said...

Yes, I think he's pretty special. Always coming up with surprises throughout the year.

 
At 12/30/2008 12:58:00 PM, Blogger Rose Anne B said...

WOW Norma that is a beautiful shuttle and that is one awesome son to hunt for such special treats for you! Enjoy!

 
At 12/30/2008 01:55:00 PM, Blogger NormaH said...

Yeah, Rose Anne, he really is special.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home