Norma's Needleworkz

Monday, February 09, 2009

Bobbin Lace Update

Doing a happy dance! Yippee! A finished piece of actual bobbin lace! Made by me!!!! This "sample" goes into my special notebook for bobbin lace. The four bobbins in the center were made by my teacher's husband and were a Christmas gift. The first ones ever I spangled and since they were my first bobbins I took apart an old necklace and spangled them all alike. I'm very pleased with my first piece and so is my teacher! Oh, there are mistakes but after all this is a learning piece and unless you are a lacer you probably wouldn't pick up on them.

Some more bobbins to be spangled ..... I think I have about two dozen more to do and I'll need most of them along with the ones I've completed to work my next project. I've purchased four dozen wooden bobbins which with the four specially made for me and the dozen plastic ones gives me a total of 32 pair of bobbins. A far cry from the sometimes hundreds of pairs needed for some patterns. I won't need to worry about having to use that many bobbins LOL

The bobbins I've finished. The dozen brown ones are plastic bobbins. The bobbins I've worked with were plastic so thought I'd order some for myself. The two pairs on the upper right were the original wood ones that came with the kit I purchased. My teacher's husband cut them off to the proper size and drilled holes for spangling. These bobbins will be used when I add gimp to my work. Gimp - heavier thread than the lacing thread and is used for accent .... I'm already beginning to learn and understand some of the "language" associated with bobbin laceing.

You may not be able to see the pattern pinned to this roll pillow ... another item borrowed from my teacher. She is making sure that I am familiar with all types of pillows so that when the time comes for me to branch out and lace on my own I'll have a good working knowledge of a variety of tools.

Here is an uncovered roll pillow that originally belonged to "Becky" a friend of mine when we were EGA members together many years ago. Becky is deceased and this pillow was given to Sandy one of the lacers in my class of three. She is of course much more advanced than I am. Sandy purchased a roll pillow and gave this one to me. I am so fortunate to have such wonderful friends that share out of their abundance. Now I just need to cover this and I'll have my own. I have to finish spangling my bobbins and fill them with thread before I can even think about covering this pillow.

As a beginner, my teacher suggested that I purchase a "One and Only" pillow. This pillow is made up of several different components so that if the squares are inserted it becomes a "cookie" pillow. The two rectangles may be substituted for one of the squares .... also making it a "cookie" pillow. A "cookie" pillow is the one most often used for bobbin lace. The cylinder makes this a roll pillow. The idea of the removeable squares/rectangles means that I can move portions of my lace very easily. These parts must also be covered before using and I've already purchased the fabric to cover both of my pillows. BUT the bobbins come first! I must be ready to begin my next piece when I go to class on Friday the 13th. Good thing I'm not superstitious!

18 Comments:

At 2/09/2009 01:24:00 PM, Blogger Guzzisue said...

I'm afraid that this is the start of a very serious addiction, up to now you are getting by a fix of one pillow and a few dozen bobbins, As a long time addict I find that I now have 5 pillows and maybe 200 or so pairs of bobbins :-)
Well done on finishing your lace, I look forward to seeing your next piece.

 
At 2/09/2009 02:02:00 PM, Blogger NormaH said...

Well, I better get busy re-arranging my stitching room.

 
At 2/09/2009 02:21:00 PM, Blogger Jane said...

What a lovely piece of lace, you must be so proud of yourself

 
At 2/09/2009 04:24:00 PM, Blogger NormaH said...

Thank You! It is still hard to believe that I actually made that piece of lace!

 
At 2/09/2009 08:14:00 PM, Blogger laura_rose said...

Hi Norma, Congratulations on you piece. We have a lady in Australia who is superstitious about starting a project on *any* Friday :D Hope yours goes well!

 
At 2/09/2009 09:10:00 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Your bobbin lace turned out beautiful! Good job! The spangled bobbins are pretty, too! Some ladies in my lace guild gave me an antique french roller lace pillow. The cover has crumbled of and I have yet to find someone that will help me figure out how to recover it. Any ideas?

 
At 2/10/2009 05:26:00 AM, Blogger NormaH said...

Thank you Laura Rose! I'm excited about starting a new project.

 
At 2/10/2009 05:34:00 AM, Blogger NormaH said...

Thank you TattingChic! I appreciate your praise comment. Sorry I can't help with the antique roller pillow .... the only thing I know about roller pillows I've read in my 3 bobbin lace books.

 
At 2/10/2009 06:25:00 PM, Blogger Jenny said...

Norma, Congrats on finishing your piece. Well done. I feel your excitement all the way from Australia. Can't wait to see what you do next.

 
At 2/11/2009 04:55:00 AM, Blogger NormaH said...

Thanks Jenny! I am excited to find a whole new world of lace making.

 
At 2/15/2009 08:01:00 AM, Blogger Charlene ♥ NC said...

Wow, Norma. I am SO proud of you, as you should be of yourself! That is a lovely piece of work YOU have done. I've always found bobbin lace so beautiful, but it is totally frightening to me. Keep up the good work -- I'll be watching!

 
At 2/15/2009 12:21:00 PM, Blogger NormaH said...

Thank you Charlene. It does look frightening but is really a lot of fun.

 
At 3/01/2009 10:27:00 PM, Blogger Susan said...

It's so interesting to see all the tools of this new interest of yours. You've come a long way since that first lesson! That is a gorgeous piece of lace. =)

 
At 3/02/2009 04:17:00 AM, Blogger NormaH said...

Thank you Susan, I'm excited about what I'm learning!

 
At 3/02/2009 08:50:00 AM, Blogger Ira said...

Great work. Beautiful lace. Happy new beginnings.

 
At 3/02/2009 09:09:00 AM, Blogger NormaH said...

Thank you Ira, I appreciate your encouragement.

 
At 3/31/2009 02:04:00 AM, Blogger Susanstitches said...

I can only see one flaw in the join and I've been doing lace on and off since the 70's. Your work is really lovely for a first piece.

 
At 3/31/2009 04:53:00 AM, Blogger NormaH said...

Thank you Susan. I have a wonderful and patient teacher.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home